Zanksar - Ladakh
Ladakh where the sun, moon and stars shines the brightest. Ladakh offers beautiful scenic landscapes with darkest night sky, where the Milkyway is visible to naked eyes. The main highlight of this tour is to cover Nightscape and Landcape of Zanskar and Ladakh.
Special Note: The visibility of Milkyway totally depends upon the weather conditions as the weather has really become unpredictable in recent years.
Star filled Night skies
Off camera flash self portraits
Light painting techniques with Milkyway Photography
Complete advance Milkyway and landscape editing workflow
Join This Tour?
If you are fascinated by Stars, Galaxy and Milkyway this tour is designed for you. This is a mid level photo tour, which covers advance Landscape and Nightscape photography and editing techniques. If you want to build a strong portfolio of Zanskar- Ladakh landscape this tour is the right choice for you. Even if you are a beginner you can join this tour as we have ‘Personal Pre Tour Support’ which clears all level of difficulties before we begin the tour. Individuals who are not photographers but avid nature-lover can also join our photography Tour to experience nature at its purest form.
If you are a complete beginner in Milkyway photography an online lecture will be conducted before the the tour begins to clear all doubts without any extra charges. If any additional basic or advance query about the gear or technique they will be cleared via phone call to make sure you are technically prepared for the tour.
An award-winning photographer and educator based in Mumbai, India. He specialises in off-camera flash portraits and astrophotography. Read more about Ashish on his website.
Arrive in Leh
We request you to arrive before 11am so that your body can acclimatise better. It takes 10-15 mins to reach hotel from Airport. First pickup slot from airport to hotel will be at 8am and next pickup will be at 11am.
Leh to Suru Valley (HOTEL STAY)
We leave early from Leh to reach Suru Valley via Kargil. Suru Valley is a beautiful village surrounded by snow cladded mountains with green pastures and trees. In evening we will get familiar with our camera setup and camera settings for landscape and Milkyway Photography.
Suru Valley to Pensila Pass (CAMPING)
After breakfast we will leave for Pensila Pass passing through beautiful villages like Panikhar, Rangdum and Parkachik. We will camp at Pensila Pass near twin lakes Lang Tso & Stat Tso.
Pensila Pass to Zangla (CAMPING)
We will cross Drang Dung Glacier on the way. We will later visit local monastery and pass by Sani Village and Padum. Zangla is surrounded by beautiful vast mountains and later we will explore Zangla Fort.
Zangla to Mt. Ganbo Rangjon (CAMPING)
After breakfast we will leave for the Mt. Ganbo Rangjon via Kurgiak Village. We will cross Purne village which is situated next to beautiful turquoise coloured Tsarap river. We will do night photography under the sacred mountain Mt. Ganbo Rangjon.
Mt. Ganbo Rangjon to Sarchu Village (CAMPING)
This route is unexplored making it ideal for new photographic opportunities. This route also offers better roads and is very remote making it ideal for Nightscape.
Sarchu Village to Leh
Early morning we will leave for Leh. The complete route is very scenic, but we will take very few stops as its a long journey and we have to reach Leh before the sun sets. Participants can explore Leh market in evening.
Tour Ends Here
After breakfast we drop our participants at the airport. We end our tour here and head back to our home with beautiful memories and powerful photos. First airport drop will be at 5am and next airport drop will be at 7am.
Min 6 pax and Max 8 pax
* (SUV car can be arranged at additional cost)
- All meals, starting from Day 1 lunch to Day 10 Breakfast
- All local transportation required during the tour
- Photography mentorship, on field assistance fees, entry fees
- Photo review and Post Processing
- Mineral water bottle
- Additional beverages, snacks etc.
- Travel from your location to Leh and vice versa
- Anything that is not mentioned in the Inclusion list
TOOLS/GEAR REQUIRED BY PARTICIPANTS:
- DSLR or Mirror less camera
- Wide angle lens
- Sturdy Tripod
- Wired / Wireless Camera trigger (Optional)
THINGS TO CARRY:
- Personal hygiene products, personal medicines, lip bam, Vaseline etc.
- Three layer of winter clothing, gloves, winter cap etc. You can call us to clarify on clothing layers required for this tour.
- Portable bidet (optional)
₹ 35,000/- needs to be paid to book your seat
₹ 30,000/- needs to be paid 15 days prior to the tour starting date
75% refund of full fees if cancellation is made 45 days prior to the date of the tour.
50% refund of full fees if cancellation is made 30 days prior to the date of the tour.
25% refund of full fees if cancellation is made 20 days prior to the date of the tour.
NO refund if cancellation is made 15 days prior to the date of the tour.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Is the price negotiable?
The tour pricing has been finalised after considering the quality standards which we maintain and the logistics involved. Thus, the pricing is final and not negotiable.
As our tour will cover some of the most remotest areas of Ladakh, we cannot expect luxury. If you are looking for luxurious tour we won’t recommend this tour as it involves staying in Camp for 4 nights with portable toilets and tents. This tour is designed for photography enthusiasts who are willing to explore the off beats locations even is harsh conditions. As new roads are constructed all over this region there is possibility of road block or traffic in many areas so we might have to wait on many locations for longer duration than expected.
3) What type of food will be served?
We offer Veg and Non-Veg food on our tour, but at times due to non availability of non veg food in remote areas we might serve only veg food.
4) What will be our mode of transport?
We will travel by tempo traveler. The complete team including the additional staff will be traveling in same vehicle. A SUV can be arranged at an additional cost.
We will be staying in hotel and movable camps. If you want single occupancy that can be arranged at additional cost. Remember Ladakh lies in one of the most remotest areas of India, so we cannot expect the same accommodation which we are used to in metropolitan city.
6) Does it involve hiking or trekking?
Our vehicle will drive you till the photography spot which doesn’t require any long trekking or hiking. But it might include small hikes to nearby areas to find better composition which is optional. We personally don’t recommend individuals to wander alone far from the camping site. But just incase if you liked some near by location you can do small hike at your own risk, we won’t be involved in any type of additional support in whatsoever circumstances.
7) How are the road conditions?
We will travel on tarmac roads to medium water crossing to sand and gravel filled roads. It will be smooth and bumpy ride.
This tour covers many scenic spots, so if you are an avid nature-lover you will get to experience the nature at its purest form. So any one can join our tour!
9) Is two day acclimatisation required for Zanskar tour?
On second from from Leh (11, 483 feet) we will get down at Suru Valley (9,843ft) so it becomes easier to acclimatise in majority of the cases. But just incase if you feel you won’t be able to, then we highly recommend you to arrive one day early and acclimatise yourself for two days.
10) Does it really get cold at night?
Even though it rarely snows or rains in May, the temperature in ladakh drops at night. Most of our stay will be close to snow cladded mountains thus we highly recommend you to carry 3 layers of warm clothes as it becomes very windy and cold at night. Hand gloves and ear muffs are highly recommended as we will be shooting till late night.
11) Does one needs to be fit to join your tour?
We suggest you to follow basic exercise/walking routine at least one month prior to the tour date as its a high altitude tour. If you are asthmatic we highly recommend you to consult your doctor before joining our tour.
12) The Mentor can communicate in which languages?
Hindi, English and Marathi.
Personal Belongings and Responsibility
- Participant(s)/Guardians should understand the risks involved in any long journey activities before enrolling.
- In case of any injury, sickness, accident, death or any other casualty or loss or damage of valuables or luggage or any equipment; organisers, volunteers or experts or any other person involved wholly or partially, either individually or jointly with Indian Photo Expeditions shall not be responsible in any manner for the same and no claims of participants, parents, guardians, relatives or friends of participants will be entertained.
- In case of any medical emergency while on tour, any expenses for the arrangements, medical treatment, will be solely borne by the participant.
- If a participant is found trying to make any changes in the existing itinerary or found misbehaving with any one will be asked to leave at his own expense. No refund will be initiated.
- Incase of road block/traffic or bad weather conditions there will be change in the itinerary which be will made only by the organiser. In such circumstances no refund will be initiated.
- During the Workshop, the decision of authorised representative of Indian Photo Expeditions shall be final and binding on all participants.
- Be courteous to your mentor and other participants for smooth stress free Tour experience. Any discomfort please share with the mentor, we will try our level best to solve it in our capacity.
- The participant should make the payment only once he has gone through all terms and conditions and is willing to abide by them.
Rules And Regulation:
- As it gets very cold at night moderate consumption of alcohol during leisure time is allowed during the tour. We personally recommend to avoid consumption of alcohol as it is a high altitude tour which has its own challenges. Smoking in your leisure time is allowed, but strictly prohibited when on field with other participants or in common room.
- Possession of illegal drugs, weapons and other illegal substances is strictly prohibited during the tour. If found breaking this Rule, participant will be expelled from the Workshop/Tour and NO REFUND will be provided